Certified Coding Associate (CCA) Exam Review
Online, Self-paced Comprehensive Review
Libman Education’s CCA Exam Review prepares coding professionals to sit for AHIMA’s Certified Coding Associate (CCA) credential exam. This online, self-paced course provides a comprehensive review of medical terminology and anatomy, reimbursement methodologies, and healthcare data sets and standards. It also includes intensive ICD-10-CM, ICD-10-PCS, and CPT coding practice, as well as valuable study and test-taking strategies.
Through April 30, 2018, AHIMA’s CCA exam will test on the 2017 codes and guidelines. AHIMA’s CCA exam will be updated to 2018 codes and guidelines on May 1, 2018. If you wish to be notified when the Libman Education 2018 CCA Exam Review is available, click here.
Earn a Certificate of Completion and 8 AHIMA CEUs! Online Flexibility! Work at your own pace; save time and travel costs.
Follow one of our students, Rebecca Harmon, MPM, RHIA, CCA as she shares her setbacks and victories while pursuing her goal of earning a CCA coding credential.Enroll Now
The object of the CCA Exam Review is to provide a framework and resources to help coders thoroughly prepare for the CCA coding credential exam. The CCA Exam Review will cover:
- Medical record review to abstract information required to support accurate facility coding
- Accurate assignment of ICD-10-CM , ICD-10-PCS, CPT, and HCPCS Level II codes for diagnoses and procedures performed in the facility setting
- Current rules, regulations, and issues regarding medical coding, compliance, and reimbursement under MS-DRG and IPPS systems
- Coding and reimbursement rules affecting the Charge Description Master (CDM), fee updates, and the Field Locators (FL) on the UB04
- Anatomy, physiology, and medical terminology required to correctly code facility services and diagnoses
- Outpatient reimbursement methodologies (OPPS)
The CCA Exam Review offers a comprehensive review of materials covered on the CCA credential exam:
- ICD-10-CM and ICD-10-PCS
- CPT and HCPCS Level II
- Reimbursement Methodologies including the Inpatient Prospective Payment System (IPPS) and the Outpatient Prospective Payment System (OPPS)
- Healthcare Data Sets and Standards
- Medical Science
- Anatomy and Physiology
- Medical Terminology
- Clinical Vocabularies and Classification Systems
“Don’t take the CCA Exam until you have taken this course! I never would have passed the exam if it wasn’t for this course.”
“There is definitely a need for this preparation course to bridge the classroom learning to preparing for and taking the actual CCA exam.”
“Hi! I just wanted to let you know that I took the Certification Exam yesterday and ……. I PASSED!!!!!! What a relief… ”
Instructor and Author:
Angela Lehoux, BS, CCS, CDIP, CIC, COC, CPC-I
Director, Training and Operations
Angela Lehoux is a coder with 25 years of experience in inpatient, outpatient and emergency room coding; an instructor and education specialist for Libman Education courses; and Director of Training and Operations for Libman Education where she is responsible for ensuring that our training is accurate, easily accessible, and challenging. Angela believes in the transformational power of education to help individuals achieve their personal and career goals and for institutions to achieve operating success. Angela develops and reviews course content and is the teacher for Libman Education’s Medical Coder Career Program (MCCP), courses on ICD-10-CM and ICD-10-PCS, and review courses for the CCA, CCS, CIC, and COC credentials. Angela has provided in-house and on-demand training and mentoring of coding staff, as well as presentations on coding-related topics. Angela enjoys working individually with current students to answer their questions regarding course content and with prospective students to identify the appropriate curriculum to support their career objectives. Angela holds a bachelor’s degree in Healthcare Management and holds Certified Coding Specialist, Certified Documentation Improvement Practitioner from AHIMA as well as the Certified Inpatient Coder, Certified Outpatient Coder, and the Certified Professional Coder Instructor certifications from AAPC.
Mary Beth York, CCS, CCS-P, CIC
Mary Beth York has over twenty year’s experience in coding, auditing and documentation improvement for hospitals ranging from community to teaching hospitals as well as physician group practices. As an educator, Mary Beth has taught in a broad range of settings from large classroom, to small group, to one-on-one instruction. Mary Beth has taught Libman Education’s highly successful CCS Exam Prep courses for eight years and has also taught CCS-P exam preparation skills, interventional radiology, and physician education on documentation requirements and assignment of E&M levels. Mary Beth York is a Senior Associate with Barry Libman Inc.
The CCA Exam Review consists of 8 lessons that can be completed in 8 to 10 weeks when spending 8 to 10 hours per week on coursework.
The CCA Exam Review is online and self-paced. There are no classroom meetings and students may login to the course at any time that is convenient for them. Study time to complete the online reading, textbook assignments, and additional study will vary widely depending on the individual’s experience and background.
Students may contact the instructor at any time with course content questions or to request a consultation to facilitate course completion. Enrollment begins at date of purchase and access is available for 16 weeks.
The following are recommended prior to starting the course.
- High School Diploma or its equivalent
- Knowledge of Medical Terminology such as Libman Education’s Introduction to Medical Terminology.
- Knowledge of Anatomy and Physiology such as Libman Education’s Introduction to Anatomy and Physiology.
- Knowledge of ICD-10-CM classification system conventions and guidelines such as Libman Education’s ICD-10-CM: Diagnosis Coding
- Knowledge of ICD-10-PCS classification system conventions and guidelines such as Libman Education’s ICD-10-PCS: Procedure Coding
- Knowledge of CPT classification system conventions and guidelines such as Libman Education’s CPT Coding
AHIMA’s requirements to sit for the CCA Exam are as follows:
Required: High School Diploma or equivalent
In addition, AHIMA recommends, but does not require, the following training:
- 6 months coding experience directly applying codes; OR
- Completion of an AHIMA approved coding program; OR
- Completion of other coding training program to include anatomy & physiology, medical terminology, basic ICD diagnostic/procedural and basic CPT coding.
- Professional Review Guide for the CCA Examination, 2017 Edition (can also be purchased as an ebook; purchase additional quizzing materials for an additional cost)
- ICD-10-CM Code Book, current version (any approved vendor*)
- ICD-10-PCS Code Book, current version (any approved vendor*)
- CPT code book, current version (AMA only) deluxe, professional, or standard hospital edition
Other recommended resources:
* Please note: Candidates for the CCA exam are required to bring the correct edition of code books to the test center. Candidates who do not bring the correct code books to the test center will not be allowed to test and will forfeit their exam fees. The allowable code books are published on the AHIMA website (see “List of Allowable Code Books: ICD-10” in the right-hand column): http://www.ahima.org/certification/CCA
To receive a Certificate of Completion, students must achieve a passing score of 70% or higher and complete 8 hours of contact instruction.
Those who successfully complete the course are eligible for 8 AHIMA CEUs.
To receive CEU credit, students must achieve a passing rate on the course assessment(s). Students are able to repeat the course assessment(s) until they have mastered the material.
Students will have up to 16 weeks to complete the course. To receive an optional extension, contact Libman Education at [email protected] for pricing.
Certified Coding Associate (CCA) Exam Review
$249 per person/per course
Financing available through PayPal CREDIT. Information available at checkout.